HOWTO for building the current GMAT source on Windows?

Development related to the GMAT core and GUI

HOWTO for building the current GMAT source on Windows?

Postby rrainey » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:00 pm

Is there a GMAT Windows Build HOWTO floating around anywhere?

The Wiki currently seems light on Windows information. I recently build GMAT on Ubuntu Linux without too much effort, but Windows using Eclipse and Cygwin is proving to be more challenging.

I'd be happy to share the actual errors, but I was thinking that someone has done this before. Anyone?

Best Regards,

Riley Rainey
rrainey

Re: HOWTO for building the current GMAT source on Windows?

Postby rrainey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:25 am

Just reporting back: I'm happy to report that I now have GMAT compiled and running under Cygwin using Eclipse on Windows:

The relevant tool versions are:

Eclipse Platform 3.4.1
Eclipse C/C++ Plugin 5.0.1.200809120802
cygwin setup 2.573.2.3
gcc -version says: gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
GNU Make 3.81
wxWidgets 2.8.4 downloaded and built from scratch

I can provide the actual BuildEnv.mk file, but here's a synopsis of the changes:

Near line 37 :
Code: Select all
# GMAT application icon for Windows only
GMAT_ICON_RC = #D:/Projects/GMAT/Icons/GmatIcon.rc
GMAT_ICON_O  = #D:/Projects/GMAT/Icons/GmatIcon.o

This change was required because these two files are apparently omitted from the source code control tree (as least I could not find them)

Near line 64:
OPTIMIZATIONS =  -DwxUSE_UNIX=0 -D_X86_=1 -DWIN32 -DWINVER=0x0400 -D__WIN95__ \
                 -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WIN32__ -mthreads -DSTRICT  -D__WXMSW__ \
                 -D__WINDOWS__ -Wall -fno-pcc-struct-return -O3\
                 -finline-functions -funroll-loops -fno-rtti -DNO_GCC_PRAGMA \
                 -malign-double -fexceptions -D__USE_WX280_GL__\
                 -fexpensive-optimizations -march=pentium4 -DUSE_OPENGL32

Adding -DUSE_OPENGL32 was added to accommodate the current structure of Cygwin's GL/gl.h header file.

Near line 80:
WXLINKFLAGS = `/usr/local/bin/wx-config --libs --gl-libs --static=yes` \
               -lopengl32 -lglu32 

'Static' had to be set to "yes" based on instructions for building wxWidgets on Cygwin (this worked, but I believe it might be possible to rebuild wxWidgets as a shared library for Cygwin with a bit more work).

Cheers,

Riley Rainey
rrainey

Postby dnegipma » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:27 am

Hi
I tried to build it in msys and got success with the version of source code whic i downloaded 4-5 months back..
It worked but not as smooth as expected. i had to to lot of other things..apart from WxWidgets, i installed Devil Library
after the i got success but with recent version i encounter gmat.rc not found error.
Since you have installel it in cygwin i want to know which one is better installing in cygwin or msys..i think cygwin is bulky?
deepak
dnegipma

Postby rrainey » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:51 am

Doh! I Just stumbled across Darrel Conway's "Configuring Eclipse for GMAT Builds: Instructions for Windows Users" in the document repository: http://gmat.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/GMATCompilerSetup.pdf

Scanning this document, Mr. Conway's steps differed from mine in that he recommends MinGW rather than Cygwin (I used Cygwin). Also, I elected not to use the DevIL library with no apparent ill effect. One point I'm a bit unclear on revolves around the correct version control repository: that document uses CVS, while I obtained the source via Subversion (using Subclipse).

Riley
rrainey

Postby DJCinSB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi, Riley.

The Windows build document is a bit out of date -- not too bad, but one of the outdated pieces is the source repository. We were using CVS for the first few years of GMAT development, and moved to Subversion when we moved the repository from a server at Goddard onto SourceForge. So if you are using the Subversion code, you are using the right source. Development is done in a separate branch from the released code (which resides on the Subversion trunk). The trunk code is intended to be stable, while the development branch carries no such promise, but does have the latest set of revisions.

- Darrel
DJCinSB

Postby didle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi Riley!

I'm working with one of the main GMAT programmers at Goddard, Linda, who is helping me develop an up to date "How To" for Windows XP using MS Dev Studio 2008. She uses the Express version, which is free from Microsoft. I'm using the Professional version, because Gene and I like integrating Whole Tomato which gives us nice tools like variable renaming.

I've got wxWidgets up and running, having tested it on Minimal. I might even some day use wxWidgets to add a GUI to Odyssey. Who knows? For now, I'm iterating with Linda to get her VCProj files in a correctly located manually built directory she uses. When it all works, we'll post my HowTo and it's a very detailed step by step checklist. Linda plans to put her VCProj files in the SourceForge database somewhere. Gene and I use Tortoise SVN both for GMAT and Odyssey. Linda uses Tortoise as well. I'm pretty sure it's also free. I got it from Gene.

Linda has been out this week but gets back tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get the How To out in a week or two. Then, over the next year, we'll be adding attitude dynamics and 3D visual models to GMAT.

Dunn
didle

Postby Ratzlaff » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:59 pm

I am using these Visual Studio project files and with some modifications they work quite well. Where would I send an updated version? They do not work after a clean checkout since their file paths are incorrect.
Ratzlaff

Postby didle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:03 am

Dear Ratzlaff,

I'm not sure I understand your post. You say the Visual Studio project files work quite well after modification, but do not work after a clean checkout. Does this mean you fixed their paths and want to send the fixed files back in? You probably should send them to someone at Goddard.

Meanwhile, that checklist I mentioned in previous posts is pretty much ready for public consumption. But I need some custom VCProj files I got from Goddard to get included in the Source Forge database. Without those, the checklist won't work. I will contact a couple folks at Goddard and see if I can get them uploaded.

Dunn
didle

Return to Core Development