Unicode-compatible GMAT

Development related to the GMAT core and GUI

Unicode-compatible GMAT

Postby SWGlassPit » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:56 am

I figured this topic finally deserved its own thread, rather than continuing to hijack the "failure to comple -- wxString related" thread. I've started work on a new branch on my github repository that takes into account the original design decision to isolate all the wxWidgets-related code to within the gui source tree. My aim with this code is to make it as painless as possible to transition to wxWidgets 3.0 when it finally goes live. To that end, I intend to get it fully working with 2.8, then make necessary changes to get it working against 2.9.2 (or whatever happens to be current). The main focus I am taking is to use std::string and c-style strings only in code that talks directly to the base library, exclusively using wxString internally, and making all conversions between the two explicit.

I'm just starting down this path, so naturally, it doesn't actually build successfully yet, but I will be pushing my commits as often as I can.
https://github.com/SWGlassPit/GMAT-unicode/tree/stdbase is the location of the branch where I'll be pushing updates. The "master" branch builds and runs (not adequately tested, though), but it uses wxString exclusively throughout the entire codebase.

For the purposes of ... well ... sanity, I suppose, I have a question: Which is more preferred: strictly ASCII encoding of strings within the base library, or ability to use UTF-8 encoding? The GmatStringUtil functions, as written, only make sense for ASCII encodings, but that means no internationalization. UTF-8 means no endianness ambiguity as far as file i/o and IPC, but it comes at the expense of string utility functions. I am leaning toward UTF-8, so messages sent using the MessageInterface class can be internationalized, but maybe that is a special case that deserves its own consideration.

Thoughts?
SWGlassPit

Re: Unicode-compatible GMAT

Postby jjkparker » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. I'm sure Steve or Darrel will jump in at some point (we're very busy around here right now), but from my perspective this is a good way to go. I can see a future in which we'd want to localize message window strings, though there's no plans for that now or even in the near term. If it's too much effort, then maybe we could just do that part when we end up needing it.
Joel J. K. Parker
Flight dynamics engineer, GMAT team
http://gmatcentral.org
jjkparker

Return to Core Development