Modeling a collision

Using GMAT for specific types of missions.

Modeling a collision

Postby smdrake » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to model a collision between an asteroid and a missile. After the collision I am trying to create a debris field and track Earth's orbit to see if it hits the debris. Does anyone know of a plotting method in which I can create a visible debris field and create a visible Earth while going through its orbit?

Any help would be appreciated!

~smdrake
smdrake

Re: Modeling a collision

Postby JackCrenshaw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 am

This is going to sound silly, but to get a good feel for a lunar mission, including landing, you need to see Scott Manley’s Youtube tutorial, based on the Kerbal Space Program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXh5pwvY20

You could choose to land vertically, as Surveyor did, but that approach is very inefficient, because you’re fighting the full force of gravity all the way down. A far better approach is to skim the surface as low as you dare, and thrust as much horizontally to scrub off the speed. As the velocity drops, so does the effect of centrifugal force, so you have to pitch nose up just enough to counter gravity.

Note that the optimal pitch profile is NOT a gravity turn.

I simulated such a landing in Simulink, a couple of years ago, My trick was to run the sim backwards in time, starting at rest on the surface. I was happy to see that GMAT supports this mode.

In Simulink, it was easy to use a Matlab function to compute the necessary pitch angle. The formula is easy enough, but as a GMAT newbie, I don’t have a CLUE how to implement it in GMAT.
JackCrenshaw

Re: Modeling a collision

Postby ugoaygar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:40 am

Those people who are interested to modeling the collision can get useful tips with take look on this share. Students often face problems in selection of research paper topics and ask help from their fellows for better progresses.
ugoaygar

Return to Flight Regimes and Mission Types